General Sea Kayaking
New England Destinations
- Sea Kayaking Coastal Massachusetts: From Newburyport to Buzzard's Bay by Lisa Gollin Evans. This is a good and up-to-date book that covers coastal Massachusetts kayaking destinations quite comprehensively.
- Sea Kayaking along the New England Coast, 2nd This is Tamsin Venn's recent update of her original work that, for a long time, was just about the only sea kayaking guidebook available for the New England coast. The new edition has better maps and updates for many other changes that have taken place over the past decade. Other guidebooks have more detail about specific areas, but this is a good place to start if you're looking for one book that covers a variety of places.
- Kayaking the Maine Coast: A Paddler's Guide to Day Trips from Kittery to Cobscook by Dorcas Miller. A fairly thick volumes that covers Maine kayaking destinations up through Downeast Maine (i.e. just past Acadia). I haven't done a truly detailed comparison but this looked to be, at least marginally, the best of the Maine guidebooks.
- The Sea Kayaker's Guide to Mount Desert Island by Jennifer Paigen. This is a fairly thin volume and nothing fancy, but it does a good job of describing trips in the immediate vicinity of Mount Desert (and Acadia National Park).
- All About the Boston Harbor Islands This isn't about sea kayaking per se and is fairly old, but it's still a good source for background on the Boston Harbor Islands.
Feel free to submit other links, especially those of New England paddling interest, to email@example.com.
Sea Kayaking Home Page
Last Updated 30 December 2006